It’s Not a Trick. Treat Yourself to Safety
- Curiosity leads to many things, not all of them safe. Protect children by installing Tamper Resistant Receptacles in your home. This permanent, cost-effective solution prevents injuries and deaths caused by the insertion of foreign objects into outlets.
- Avoid using dried flowers, corn stalks or hay in your festive decorations. These items are highly flammable and could even be ignited by heat from a nearby lightbulb.
- Outdoor electrical decorations are increasingly popular. To reduce your risk of shocks, Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) should be used wherever water may come into contact with electrical products. Replace traditional receptacles with GFCIs or use a portable one.
- Inspect all electrical decorations and extension cords before use. Discard any that are have cracked, frayed, or exposed wiring.
- Use only electrical decorations and products that have been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as UL, Intertek, or CSA.