Downed power lines can be deadly. ALWAYS assume a downed power line is live and avoid going near it or anything in contact with it.
- Downed power lines can energize the ground up to 35 feet away. Even more in wet conditions.
- Never drive over downed power lines or through water that is in contact with them
- Never try to move a downed power line. Even using items that typically are not conductive will not prevent injury or death
- If you see a downed line call 911
If a vehicle contacts a power line or utility pole stay away and call 911
- Consider all lines to be live and dangerous
- Stay in place or inside your vehicle unless you see fire or smoke
- Warn others to stay at least 35 feet away
- Tell others not to approach the vehicle, downed lines, or anything that may be in contact with downed lines
- Call 911
In the Event of Fire or Smoke
- Do not touch the ground and vehicle at the same time
- Jump from the vehicle with your feet together
- Shuffle away, avoid lifting your feet