Prevention – It saves lives. As a proud supporter of the National Fire Protection Association’s Fire Prevention Week initiative, ESFI wants to help you prevent tragedy and remind you how to be proactive with safety. Remember: Don’t Wait – Check the Date! Replace Smoke Alarms Every 10 Years.
- AFCI Breakers and Outlets can prevent 50% of residential home fires.
- Each year 2,400 children in the US are treated for injuries caused by outlets. 1/3 of parents do not have outlets childproofed. Install Tamper Resistant Receptacles.
- 470,000 counterfeit smartphone batteries were recalled in 2010 due to burn and fire hazards. Purchase electronics at reputable retailers.
- 3,300 home fires originate from extension cords each year. Heavy reliance on extension cords is a sign to have more outlets installed.
- The CPSC found 47% of electrocutions could be prevented with GFCI protection in homes.
- Frequently tripped circuit breakers or flown fuses and cracking, sizzling or buzzing from outlets can be signs of an overloaded circuit. 47,700 home fires in the US are caused by electrical failure or malfunction each year.
- Smoke alarms: replace every 10 years.
- Batteries: test monthly, replace yearly
- 2/3 of fire deaths occur in homes with no, or non-functioning, smoke alarms
- Have at least one smoke alarm on every floor, outside each sleeping area, and in every bedroom.
Remember: Don’t Wait – Check the Date! Replace Smoke Alarms Every 10 Years.