Keep these simple safety tips in mind when selecting holiday gifts for children of all ages:
- Read all manufacturer’s labels for toys or items that will be used by or around children. Check to make sure the child meets the age requirements specified on the label, and determine whether adult supervision is required; plan accordingly.
- Toys with small, detachable pieces can present serious choking hazards. Avoid giving these gifts to small children.
- If gifts require batteries, exercise the same caution as you would give toys with small parts. Many batteries, especially small button cells, pose choking risks if children are able to open the battery covers.
- Gifts that plug into outlets and have cords can pose strangulation and shock risks.
- Always supervise children while they play with their toys. They can enjoy the gifts while you can enjoy knowing that they are safe.