- High intensity strobes are used as a method of awakening those who are deaf or have profound hearing loss. Smoke alarms are available with strobe features or the ability to be used with strobes. Pillow or bed shakers that are activated by the sound of the smoke alarm are also required.
- Notification appliances that are separate from the smoke alarm and produce complex low frequency audible signals upon activation of the alarm are a means for awakening those with mild to severe hearing loss.
- A responsible family member and a backup person should be assigned to assist anyone who may not be awakened by the sound of the fire alarm.
Fire Escape Plan:
- A responsible family member and backup person should be assigned to assist the elderly or persons with mobility issues who will need assistance to escape.
- Consider whether people with limited mobility should sleep in a room on the ground floor to make escape easier.
- Keep doorways, hallways, and stairs clear of furniture and clutter that could become an obstruction or tripping hazard during a fire emergency.