Fire Prevention Week, sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association, is October 4-10, 2015 with the theme “Hear the Beep Where you Sleep” to remind you that every bedroom needs a working smoke alarm. In addition to functioning smoke alarms, there are many safe practices that can help prevent fires and promote electrical safety through your home.
Keep your living room safe with these tips:
- Cords should not run under rugs, through walls or be pinched by furniture.
- Never attempt to extend the length of an extension cord by connecting it with another extension cord.
- To avoid damage, never nail or staple cords to the wall or baseboard.
- Use surge protection devices to protect your television and other electronic equipment from damage.
- To avoid counterfeit or dangerous products, only buy electronics that bear the mark of a nationally recognized testing laboratory sold by reputable retailers.