Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL) test and certify electrical equipment and other products to ensure that they meet current safety standards and are safe with proper use.
The Importance of NRTL Certification
NRTL certification means that electronics, when used as intended, are:
- Up to code: Electronics with NRTL certification undergo independent testing to ensure they meet safety standards.
- Safe: Electronics with NRTL certification are tested to help confirm they are free of recognized hazards that could cause injury or death.
- Genuine: Electronics with NRTL certification can be confirmed with the NRTL as genuine. Avoid purchasing products without NRTL certification, as they may not be designed to meet applicable industry standards.
To receive and maintain certification, NRTLs:
- Evaluate and test products to safety standards
- Address any standards compliance issues with manufacturers if necessary
- Authorize manufacturers to apply certification marks to eligible products
- Conduct factory inspections for all certified products
- Provide assurance that products are tested as safe for their intended use in the U.S.
CE marks are not certification marks. CE labeled products may not have been tested by a 3rd party.
- 80% of consumers are familiar with NRTLs
- 76% of consumers know what NRTL certification means
- 33% of consumers are more likely to purchase items with NRTL certification
- 50% of consumers look for certification when purchasing electronics
- 73% of consumers say that certification does not affect their purchasing decision
Only purchase NRTL certified electronics, it can save your life.