Every year over 3,000 home fires are caused by extension cords. That means if not used properly, they can overheat and light up a home.
- Only use tested and certified extension cords.
- Inspect your cords for damage.
- Don’t ever plug an extension cord into another.
- Make sure you’re using the right type of extension cord. Outdoor cords for outdoors.
- Never cut off the ground pin.
- Always plug into a GFCI protected outlet when using outdoors.
- Never run extension cords under rugs, carpets, or through doors or windows.
And bottom line, extension cords are for temporary use only. Be smart and stay safe.