Do you have a home office or work from home? Follow these electrical safety tips to keep you and your home safe from electrical hazards.
- Avoid overloading outlets
- Unplug appliances when not in use to save energy and minimize the risk of shock or fire
- Regularly inspect electrical cords and extension cords for damage
- Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis
- Never plug a space heater or fan into an extension cord or power strip
- Never run cords under rugs/carpets, doors, or windows
- Plug in smartly. Make sure cords do not become tripping hazards
- Keep papers and other potential combustibles at least three feet away from space heaters and other heat sources
- Make sure you use proper wattage for lamps/lighting
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Test them monthly, change batteries yearly, and replace the unit every 10 years
Wherever you work, it’s always important to be safe.