- Use a bulb of the correct type and wattage. If you do not know the correct wattage, contact the manufacturer of the lamp or fixture.
- Read and follow light bulb manufacturers’ safety instruction.
- Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely – loose bulbs may overheat.
- Place halogen floor lamps (torchieres) away from curtains, buds, rugs or other furnishings. These lamps can become very hot and can cause a fire hazard.
- Consider replacing halogen torchiere lamps with models that use cooler, more efficient fluorescent bulbs.